20 Fascinating Facts From the Evolution of Advertising
1) Advertising has existed as far back as 3000 BC!
2) 63% of consumers need to hear company claims 3-5 times before they actually believe it.
3) You’re more likely to survive a plane crash than click a banner ad.
4) The first newspaper ad was in 1650 to offer a reward for 12 stolen horses.
5) The first professional advertising agency was launched in 1841 in Philly.
6) Advertising first became an academic discipline in 1900 at Northwestern.
7) Unilever & JWT first partnered in 1902, creating the longest relationship in advertising history.
8) A baby formula brand was the first to sponsor a blimp (in 1902).
9) The first ad agency to launch a product was JWT on behalf of P&G in 1911, for their product Crisco.
10) The first radio ad spot was offered in 1922: $100 for ten minutes!
11) In 1929, Lucky Strike spent $12.3M on ads, the most in history to that point to promote just one product.
12) The first TV ad was for Bulova Clocks & reached 4000 TVs.
13) In 1946, the U.S. had 12 TV stations. By 2011? 1,700.
14) Caller ID has been around to spot telemarketers since 1981.
15) In 1993, the entire internet had 5 million users — or 0.45% of Facebook’s current user base.
16) The first email spam was sent by Canter & Siegel law firm in 1994.
17) In 1998, the average consumer saw 3,000 marketing messages per day.
18) In 2009, the FTC instituted a series of regulations banning untruthful customer testimonials.
19) In 2011, there were over 1 trillion pages online. That’s 417 pages for every 1 person!
20) Google’s Eric Schmidt cites that “Every 2 days, we create as much information as we did from the dawn of civilization up until 2003.”